Thursday, April 29, 2010

Gary Dell'Abate who?

From RAMP:

Howard Stern's longtime (and sometimes long-suffering) producer Gary Dell'Abate has signed a book deal. RAMP has learned that Dell'Abate, who has been a member of Howard's inner circle for over 25 years, just inked a six-figure deal with Random House to write (along with Chad Millman) his biography. The title? As if there was any other choice: They Call Me Baba Booey, which capitalizes on his longtime nickname.

Before you jump to the conclusion that this will be some tawdry Howard "tell-all" book, guess again: "I've had offers to do a Stern behind-the-scenes book, but that's not my thing," Dell'Abate tells RAMP. "This is my story of growing up with a mom who had some issues and how she unwittingly prepared me for the job of a lifetime."

By way of a sneak preview, Dell'Abate says the book will cover some areas that are well known to his fans: "I'll have a chapter on my infamous 'First Pitch,' as well as some other familiar topics," he promises. "I'm very excited about the book," he says. "If you are a fan of the show and don't hate me, you'll probably enjoy this book." Even though They Call Me Baba Booey isn't scheduled to come out until Nov. 2, it's already racking up some impressive pre-order business on Amazon.com.

Gary and I spoke some years back, when Stern was still on the radio, when he called me to see if I'd be willing to interview a woman who'd climbed into a tree and made her home there when her family pissed her off.  I said no.  They never got the interview.

Gary is the luckiest boy in the world: a Guido, with no radio skill who worked cheap and made his way up the ladder one way or the other.