Friday, December 11, 2009

Everybody's got a lawyer ...

... 'cept for me and my monkey (apologies to The Beatles).

Remember that KEZK midday opening ad I posted a day or so ago?  Check this out:

Dear Mr. Anderson,

I am the co-founder and Senior Editor of RAMP (Radio and Music Pros), an established daily industry email that services the radio and record industry. It was brought to my attention last night that your St. Louis radio blog "borrowed" verbatim a want ad -- without any attribution -- we wrote for KEZK and was published on Monday, Dec. 7. I have attached a copy of my original RAMP publication, which was written Friday, Dec. 4 and published on Monday, Dec. 7. Below I have cut and pasted the unattributed version that appeared on your blog. While we are flattered that you thought highly enough of our ad to classify it as "priceless," our name did not appear anywhere in reference to the piece, which is copyrighted material and should not be reproduced without permission.

I'm sure you have been around this industry long enough to realize that when professionals use the material of other professionals, the proper and legal courtesy one would extend would be to attribute such material to the rightful author -- RAMP, which you have clearly NOT done in this case, while I see attribution was extended to my competitors Tom Taylor and Jerry DelColliano, so I will assume in this instance this was merely an oversight.

In any event, I have taken the liberty of copying my business partner Keith Berman and our corporate attorney Warren Chao. We fully expect you to immediately update your blog to include the proper credit to RAMP. As our work is copyrighted, we also expect that you will secure our permission before reprinting any future material from RAMP.

Thank you.
Kevin Carter
Sr. Editor
RAMP

It's come to this:  a radio station, a CBS station at that, outsourcing the writing of a help-wanted ad.  My bad for not recognizing this right off, but the ad was sent anonymously, as a blind item with no sourcing.  Credit is hereby granted where it appears to be so richly deserved.