Wednesday, August 31, 2011

This whole bullying thing is junk ...

Part 1: Bullying Law Puts New Jersey Schools on Spot

Under a new state law in New Jersey, lunch-line bullies in the East Hanover schools can be reported to the police by their classmates this fall through anonymous tips to the Crimestoppers hot line.

Part 2: How bullys were dealt with in the 1950's
 
When I was in second grade, at recess and lunchtime, a red-headed guy whose name I'll never remember, decided that he needed to beat me up. This kid, probably in the third grade at OLPH, chased me around and around the Soldier's and Sailor's Memorial (seen here), presuming that, when he caught me, he'd beat me.
 
I managed to get away from him and then, one day, just had enough.  I stopped, turned around and punched him in his chest, in his solar plexus, and he went down, gasping.  That's how you handle bullies.  He never chased me again.
 
This whole bullying thing now?  Man up, kids. Grown some stones. Punch 'em, kick 'em.  Just don't law 'em.