Thursday, March 3, 2011

I've been trying to figure this out since the 1960's ...

... and a few days back, former KHJ production wizard Bill Mouzis told me the secret of the legendary KHJ Tymp Hit Roll, the incredible drum sfx that was the intro to all of the KHJ/Los Angeles spoken intros, the one we all tried to duplicate.

Gotta tell ya, embarassed as I am with my decades-long failures to duplicate it, with splices of this and that and multi-tracking and all kinds of attacks on the Drake-Chenault-Mouzis drum roll secret sound, it was almost more embarassing to find our just how simple it really was to create.  And how many people it took to bring it to air.  And who finally achieved it.

Did Bill splice in the tiniest piece of a gunshot or cannon fire or a thunderclap or a dynamite blast j-u-s-t at the front to enhance it? That's what I'd always heard.

If you're a fan of the original KHJ and love those Drake A and AA jingle packs, hang in here and, when and if I get permision from Mr. Mouzis to release it, I'll let you know.  I'll even give you the audio so you can listen to the danged thing a dozen times, like I did, to finally say "AH!  Yes! Now I get it!"

Discuss on the STL Media Message Board. (Registration Required)