Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Update on the STLMedia iPad ...

It's neither fish nor fowl, but I keep finding new, handy and cool things I can do with it.  I don't have a smartphone, just a trusty old Motorola Razr and I don't text message.  But the iPad steps up more than half-way between the Razr and my netbook/laptop 'puters, bring along none of the baggage of any of those devices.

OS and app updates are seamless and occasional synching with your base 'puter is all you need to keep everything up to date. Eventually I'll find the several seasons of South Park I stored when I purchased them from the iTunes Store and upload them. 

As a NetFlix subscriber, the app for that service is great.  While not every lunch location has free WiFi, enough do so that I can grab a burger along with a movie or an episode or two of the old Route 66 show, on earbuds or the small but very efficient speakers that are buit in.  This might even give new life to dinner and a movie with Mrs. A! No more carrying around discs and a portable DVD player.

I haven't web-cruised too much with the built-in Safari browser but it's kinda strange that embedded YouTube videos will not play from websites (such as this one) but direct (pre-programmed) access to the YouTube website will.  Sooner or later Apple will take care of that, I guess, by absorbing Adobe.

Love the virtual keyboard.  Web access via WiFi is quick and rendering is excellent.  The screen size is perfect, although I still need my old man specs for text reading.

I set up a "Find My iPad" app this evening, which plugs a Google Maps pointer into the system.  If the device is stolen or misplaced, you can go to a pre-registered website, plug in your Apple ID and then track your iPad down to its current location.