Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A treasure chest of phone lines ...

Okay, so  I started with a couple of phone lines in the house, originally for home and fax.  Thru one of them comes the DSL that powers my online-ability. 

Then I added  two wireless accounts, one for me and one for Mrs. A.  We can redirect either of these numbers to wherever we choose.  But we have always just answered them when they ring, with no redirect.  Of course, both wireless lines offer voice mail service.  Call, do not connect and then leave a message.

Then came Skype, a VOIP service that allowed us to call and talk with other users of the service, including video.  It's still in service on my system.

Then I got a Google Voice number - (314-XXX-XXXX)  that makes both my home phone and personal cell ring.  When you call, you can reach me live, leave a message that will be transcribed to a written message or recorded and will be delivered to me online in both formats.

I just bought a MagicJack, for no real reason other than I wanted to test it.  Once it arrives, I'll have a new number for you to call.  Or fax.  Or whatever.

But, Holy Cats, I have a bunch of phone numbers!

UPDATE:  My purchase of the MagicJack rose magically from the retail to $51.  Postage and s/h, ya know?  This thing better work.  Like magic.

UPDATE2:  I just realized, a few days after the purchase, that I do not have a phone for use in this system.  Okay, it'll only cost about $10 or $20 bucks in a blister pack at Target or Wal-Mart, but, still...it's another expense.