Thursday, May 13, 2010

Don't make fun of Mother Nature ...

Literally one minute after I posted this things here started to change, and that wasn't a good thing.  One big peal of thunder directly overhead and all hell broke loose.

My phones and DSL failed.  Fixed now, but it was a very long day and a half out of touch.  TelCo got a repair guy to me 24 hours before they scheduled him.  No charge because I have Inline Insurance but it cost me a surge protector.

Lots of little "fires" around the place, like the garage door opener. Looks like at least a $300 loss.  Other small stuff, too.

Portions of cable TV here went out.  Analog side works, digital doesn't.  Cable company can't get here until Monday but they're already singing the "It Isn't My Fault" song.

The 42" big screen rear-projection Sony may be a thing of the past; won't know until I can get a Sony-qualified repair guy in to take a look.  If you have any recommendations, email me with a name and phone number.

All of the in-rack AV gear seems to be OK, but the Bose Theater Audio gear looks like it might be toast.

Plus I'll need an electrician to go through the circuits to see what's what.  This ain't going to be a cheap fix, I'm afraid. Replacing the Big TV alone will run at least a grand.

Of course, the insurance company says lightning is an Act of God and therefore uncoverable.

Surge protectors?  They're just condoms full of pinholes.

I had way more fun in Vietnam.  And it cost me less.

Discuss on the STL Media Message Board. (Registration required)