Saturday, February 6, 2010

No SuperBowl for me, forevermore ...

I won't be watching the game this Sunday.  Of course, I'm not a sports fan of any consequence, but I used to at least enjoy watching the pageantry and the commercials shot exclusively for The Game.

The pageantry no longer excites me (I can eventually see the half-time dealio on YouTube) and I can watch the spots on any number of websites.  Neither of the teams attract my interest, so...

So why will I watch a movie or two instead?  Because over the past few years, the NFL, along with the NBA and the MLB have turned into leagues of violent criminals, a ravaging herd of privileged and overpaid thugs, who take advantage of their peculiar skills to "get over" on polite society.

The Rams' Leonard Little killed a woman while driving drunk and got 90 days in the county slammer.  C'mon. And then he got caught driving drunk again, and the team bought his way out of it.

LA brought home an NBA championship...and a riot.  The bad behavior of many NBA players is well documented.

Michael Vicks' reacceptance into the NFL after his conviction and prison time on charges of animal abuse was pretty much what iced it for me. A grown man who got off on seeing dogs fight and die...and who bet money on the outcome.  Vicks is scum-of-the-earth and should be banned from everything forever.

Pete Rose bet on baseball games and there are a lot of people who think that's just fine and want him in the HOFRose was a great player.  But he broke the rules.

Mark McGuire.  I've said my piece on him, and I won't say it again.  He should be poison. But he's being treated gently and brought back into the club.  He and Rose should be shunned by the sport they disgraced.

Sports in America have been dragged to the lowest depths by these types of people. It almost makes me think of the several years I spent in "professional wrestling" as honest, upstanding labor.

Discuss on the STL Media Message Board. (Registration required)