Thursday, November 26, 2009

When I was a kid ...



The second half of my Freshman year in High School, I wound up living with my maternal Grandmother in Ventnor NJ, near our ancestral home on LBI as my family gradually moved from Arizona back to New Jersey and "attended" Atlantic City HS (I attended about every third day, majoring in pinball and concert attendance at the Steel Pier).

Fries at Lou's downstairs were just a quarter.

I'd been kinda tossed off from the family bus.  Not because I was an unpleasant person, just because I was inconvenient to have around at that point in their lives.

During the week I listened to AM1340/WMID on my transistor radio (I later worked for the station); weekends I spent at Wilt Bennet's home in Margate. It was in Marvin Gardens, actually, just like Monopoly.  After days on the beach or the Boardwalk, we'd spend evenings and nights playing cards and sitting around and gabbing in his garage, listening to an old-style console radio, usually tuned to WLS in Chicago.