Saturday, September 5, 2009

John Carney's Jim White tribute was excellent

It's available to listen to still at KMOX.com. I suggest you download it and burn it to a CD. John is one of the few current broadcasters who has any sense at all of what and who preceded him; the respect he shows for his (and my) antecedents is wonderful.

Jim's passing hit me in a way that I still cannot describe. It literally put me out of commission for a couple days. I didn't know Jim well or personally, but I listened to him over the years and I noted his retirement in an early version of STLMedia.

But a few years later Jim touched base with me by email and he and I stayed in touch irregularly. He even occasionally posted. Jim had become a fan of STLMedia.net, keeping in touch vicariously with the city and listeners he had been so much a part of through our website.

We met a couple of times, and he was kind enough to join us during one of his trips North at one of the STLMedia Monthly Meetings, at which he held forth in his curmudgeonly style, entertaining all in attendance. I was honored he chose to spend a few hours of his well-earned retirement time there. I was especially impressed with the fact that, once the Meeting was done, Jim was anxious to get back to the kids and grandkids.

I've noted here the passing of a lot of my friends and associates over the past few years, and, as I age into my 60's, it makes me more and more aware of my own mortality.

GodSpeed, Jim. Please rest knowing that even He cannot fix stupid.

Discuss on the STLMedia Message Board. (Registration required)