Monday, July 27, 2009

Yesterday Jason came over ...

We all had dinner, he took care of some business for us around the house and property and did his laundary, then Mrs. A took off for bed and Jason and I sat up watching TV and talking, he on one end of the couch and me on the other.

Suddenly, Jason leaned down and picked up a bit of trash off the carpet. I asked what is was he picked up.

At exactly the same time, he and I said this word, answering my question:

"Schmutz."

Now, I have no idea what that word means, or if I had ever uttered it before. The word sounds as if it may be Yiddish, but neither Jason nor I have any knowledge of Yiddish, which is a pidgeon of German and Hebrew.

We just said the same nonsense word together, at the same exact second.

I guess Jason is my son, after all.

Discuss on the STLMedia Message Board. (Registration required.)